Monday, November 2, 2009

The mountain I just climbed!!!

These past couple of months I have been preparing my fine art portfolio.
There are few degrees that you can acquire in the fine arts department. The highest at UVU is a BFA (Bachelors of Fine Arts). Essentially you could just enroll in the school and take art class to get a BA or BS in the visual communications degree, but anythings above that you must submit a portfolio and be personal accepted by the school and faculty.
For me I love painting and fine arts and to really accent that in my artist career I decided to apply for the BFA program.
I had to take pictures of all my best artwork in the area I want to emphasis in.
I wanted to show you what I submitted.
ps. Thank you for all the support and love, it has been a strenuous, stressful and tiring!




A Grandfather’s Hat, oil on wood 12”x 18”





Colour I, acrylic, modeling paste, and Oil pastel on linen, 12”x 24”


Collage I, Oil Pastel on Linen, 6”x 10”

Colour III, acrylic, modeling paste, and oil pastel on linen, 12”x 24”


Untitled I, Oil Pastel on Linen, 6”x 8”


Light House, Oil on Canvas, 2.5’x 4’


Grounded, water media and oil pastel, 12”x 18”


Orange Juice, Acrylic, 18”x 24”


Cranes, Water media, 12”x 18”


Elephas maximus, Oil on canvas, 4’x 6’

Soldiers’ Tears, Oil on canvas, 4’x 4.5’


Colour IV, acrylic, modeling paste, and oil pastel on linen, 12”x 24”

Colour V, acrylic, modeling paste, and oil pastel on linen, 12”x 24”

Colour VI, acrylic, modeling paste, and oil pastel on linen, 12”x 24”
Contrast, Oil on Wood, 7”x 7”

Colour II, acrylic, modeling paste, and oil pastel on linen, 12”x 24”

Untitled II, Oil pastel on linen, 6”x 12”

Untitled III, Oil pastel on linen, 6”x 8”


Untitled IV, Oil pastel on Linen, 6”x 8”
I GOT ACCEPTED!!!
I'm so excited and relieved!
Artist Statement...
I build paintings. My paintings feel solid and built. The physical compositional configuration is the structural field on which sediments of paint and material are massed, initiating the growth of each piece. It is the vitality of growth and decay within each structure and the energies inherent in these processes that I try to embrace in my work.
Texture is the foremost component in my paintings. In performance with raw materials as my instrument I shape and manipulate to make a rustic sound. I paint layer upon layer with harsh movement, jagged edges, and bold colors; it is like geological strata with cracks and discordance. It represents the movement and lines of the earth, all the way down through the painting to the sturdy wood support. But each new layer, however furious, is always infected and colored by the underlying one. Nothing is ever used right from the tube or exactly how I found it. What I have done is a rather coarse and abstract but it will smell of the earth.
My inspirations come from nature and earth. I use natural materials that came from the earth. I like knowing that my work can be considered as making a full circle in life. As I grow mentally and emotionally; I learn what is most important to me and what lemons are worth the squeeze. I know that I have found my place in life, and now I can take what I have learned and morph it into my art and creations. Coming from southern California I learned that nothing stays the same and nothing is exactly what it seems. I lived seven minutes away from the Pacific Ocean; it could be warm sunny and cloudless above my house and once traveled to the coast it would turn to overcast gloomy and gray. Such as the layers I produce on the supports of either canvas or wood panels. One layer will start as golden and bright as the sun on a warm spring day but might change to a gloomy gray with hints and shadows of the sun bleeding through.
SORRY FOR THE LENGTH!!!


6 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!! that is sooo great Michelle. I knew you would make... you are super talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Michelle. Congrats!! That is so exciting. I'm glad all your hard work paid off. Your paintings are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MICHELLE!!!! Congrats! That is so super awesome! We are all so proud of you! Keep up the good work! All your pieces are amazing but I LOVE the first one. It's my fav!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Michelle! That is so awesome..you're so talented and deserve this! I really love your work, especially the Elephas Maximus painting...that one is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Michelle, you and your work are amazing! And such a variety of work. Congratulations! It's icing on the cake to get acknowledgment for your time, effort, and talent. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daughter, since the day you could hold a crayon you've been creating art, cutting-up anything and everything, slappying glue where ever it would stick.....all the hard work has paid off and we couldn't be prouder!

    Miss you lots....XOXOXOXO.....Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete